Say goodbye to endless trips to the pump and hello to a significantly lower maintenance bill. Not only will you be doing your part for the planet, but you’ll also experience the convenience of driving a car that can be ‘fueled’ at home.
Below are the best options in terms of overall capability, smart features, and value:
However, this does not mean that electric cars don’t come with their negative attributes. For example, charging your vehicle can be difficult if you live in an area with bad charging infrastructure.
So the only way to combat this issue is by installing your own EV charger in your home, which will help to make charging your car more convenient and accessible.
The 3 Best EV Home Chargers Reviews
Here are the top products we recommend to electric vehicle owners based on our experience:
Our Rating: 4.2/5
Available in 3 different variants, this EV charger also features a universal J1772 charging standard which makes it compatible with most electric vehicles.
The charger also comes with built-in WiFi and LED charging light indicators. It can also be connected to Alexa and Echo devices, allowing you to control the product through voice commands.
- Built-In WiFi: The JuiceBox Smart EV charger comes complete with built-in WiFi, which you can use to connect the charger to your smartphone.
- Compatible With Home Devices: The EV charger can be connected to Alexa and Echo devices, allowing you to control the product through voice commands.
- Compact Size: The JuiceBox Smart EV charger features a compact design, so you can easily install it anywhere on your property.
- Different Variants: The EV charger can be purchased in 3 variants: 32 amp (7.7KW), 40 amp (9.6KW), and 48 amp (11.5KW).
- Internet Connection: Some buyers have reported issues with the charger’s built-in WiFi connection.
Our Rating: 4.4/5
If you have ever used a public charger, then chances are you have encountered our next product at some point in your life.
ChargePoint is a company known for its Wi-Fi-enabled home charger, which can be purchased for plug-in or hardwired options.
The EV charger operates via an app and can be remotely controlled through your Alexa and Echo devices.
Featuring a durable and safe design, the charger can charge up to 50 amps and can add 37 miles of range per hour to your vehicle.
- Level 2 Charger: The
ChargePoint Home Flexis a Level 2 charger and is capable of adding 37 miles of range per hour to your vehicle.
- WiFi Enabled: The EV charger is WiFi-enabled and can be operated via an app on your smartphone.
- Compatible With Home Devices: The
ChargePoint Home FlexEV charger can be remotely controlled using your Alexa and Echo devices.
- Energy Star Certified: The EV charger has been Energy Star Certified, ensuring both its safety and efficiency.
- App Issues: Some buyers have reported issues with the app, which is required for charging your vehicle.
Our Rating: 3.6/5
Manufactured in Canada, the Grizzl-E Level 2 EV charger features a 24-foot premium cable and has been IP67 rated for its resistance to natural elements. There is also the option to buy a 5-year warranty.
Beyond this, the EV charger has a range of safety features, including a built-in GFCI and over-temperature protection.
It also has the option of adjustable amperage, with the charge’s overall power range falling between 16A and 40A. The charger’s exterior has been made using durable and sturdy materials and is incredibly easy to detach from its wall mount.
- Durable Design: The Grizzl-E Level 2 EV charger’s exterior has been made using durable materials and features an air-tight enclosure to protect the charger from extreme weather conditions.
- Adjustable Amperage: The EV charger comes with the option of adjustable amperage: 16A, 24A, 32A and 40A.
- IP67 Certified: The Grizzl-E Level 2 EV charger has been IP67 certified due to its water and fire resistance.
- No App Support: Unfortunately, the EV charger does not feature app support and comes with no wireless capabilities.
- Short Power Cord: There have been reports of the power cord being too short, making charging your car difficult and time-consuming.
Other Top Home Charging Stations
The stations in this section are all great options and will serve you well. Other than a few minor flaws, we recommend them depending on the criteria below:
Next, we have another Level 2 charger that is considered a more portable option than your standard wall-mounted station. Produced by Morec, this EV charger comes complete with a 26-foot charging cable and offers a charge of up to 32 amps.
Made from durable ABS material, the charge also features an LCD box, which can be used to display the charging status of your vehicle and other significant data. The Level 2 charger has also been certified by the CE and TUV and sports an overall rating of IP66.
- Portable Design: The Morec Level 2 EV charger features a portable design and comes complete with a 26-foot-long charging cable and NEMA 14-50 plug.
- Level 2 Charger: The EV charger is a Level 2 product and is capable of charging up to 32A.
- LCD Display Box: The Morec Level 2 EV charger comes with an LCD box, which can be used to display important readings and data.
- Certified Product: The EV charger has been certified by the CE and TUV and has an overall rating of IP66.
- No Bag Included: Unfortunately, the EV charge does not come with a bag, and its overall design could be considered basic.
The Siemens VersiCharge is a Level 2 EV charger that is currently available in universal, hardwire and smart grid models – with each variant offering different special features and cable lengths.
All three models have a power range of 7.2KW and are compatible with most J1772 complying vehicles. The EV chargers can also be used to power various Tesla products, although this is only possible with the addition of an adapter.
Produced in California, the charger also features pause delay functions and comes complete with a 3-year warranty.
- Multiple Models: The Siemens VersiCharge home charger can currently be purchased in 3 models: universal, hardwire and smart grid.
- Flexible Control: The EV charger features flexible control and pause delay functions, which can be accessed from the front of the charger.
- 3-Year Warranty: The Siemens VersiCharge home charger comes complete with an industry-leading 3-year warranty.
- Level 2 Charger: The product is a Level 2 charger, which means it is capable of powering your vehicle four times faster than Level 1.
- Incompatible Product: The delayed charging may not be compatible with all electric vehicle models.
Our next charger has been manufactured in California and is fully compatible with all electric vehicles sold throughout the United States and Canada.
The EVoCharge Level 2 EV charger offers a power range of 7.86KW, which means it can charge 8 times faster than any average AC Level 1 product.
Beyond this, the charger is very durable and features a universal wall mount for easy installation. The charger can also support 20A-40A ratings and can be adjusted for maximum output.
- The EvoCharge Level 2 EV charger features a charge of 7.68KW. Making it 8 times faster than a standard AC Level 1 charger.
- The EvoCharge comes with a universal wall mount for easy installation.
- The EvoCharge Level 2 charger is a Level 2 product. Which means it offers more power and charge.
- Good versatility from it being compatible with all electric vehicles and can be plugged in or hardwired.
- It’s an expensive purchase. So it may not be suitable for buyers working with a budget.
Our Rating: 3.1/5
The next product on our list is another American-Made Level 2 charging station, which offers an overall power range of 40 amps (9.6 kW). However, HCS-40 can be bought as a 64-amp charger.
The charger can be plugged-in or hardwired, depending on your preference, and can be safely installed inside or outside.
Measuring around 9 inches in length, the ClipperCreek HCS-40 EV charger comes complete with a 25-foot charging cable and lockable J1772 connector. The charger has also met all safety requirements established by the ETL.
- 9.6 kW Power Range: The ClipperCreek HCS-40 EV charger offers an overall power range of 40 amps (9.6 kW).
- Level 2 Charger: The EV charger is Level 2, which means it provides more power and charge than a Level 1 product.
- Lockable J1772 Connector: The ClipperCreek HCS-40 EV charger comes complete with a lockable J1772 connector and holster.
- No Smart Features: Unfortunately, the EV charger does not feature any programmable options and cannot be controlled via smartphones or home devices.
- Delayed Charge: The delayed charge feature may not be compatible with all-electric vehicles.
Considered one of the most respected brands in the automotive industry, the Bosch Level 2 EV charger is one of the best available chargers on the market.
Featuring a sleek and compact design, this EV charger sports a universal J1772 charge and comes complete with a weather-resistant NEMA 3R enclosure for interior and exterior use.
Available in both plug-in and hardwire models, the charge also features an on/off button to ensure energy conservation when the charger is not being used. While the LED display helps to indicate your vehicle’s power status and data.
- Respected Brand: The Bosch Level 2 EV charger has been manufactured by a respected brand and is considered one of the best EV chargers on the market.
- Sleek & Compact Design: The EV charger’s sleek and compact design makes it easy to install on any part of your property.
- Weather-Resistant: The Bosch Level 2 EV charger comes complete with a weather-resistant NEMA 3R enclosure, making it capable of indoor and outdoor use.
- 3-Year Warranty: The EV charger comes with a 3-year limited warranty to ensure the product’s protection if damaged.
- Expensive Price: Unfortunately, the product’s reputed quality makes it one of the most expensive chargers currently available on the market.
If you have been searching for a more compact home charger, this Level 2 EV charger by Pulsar Plus is the perfect product for you.
Offering 40 amps of power, this compact charger comes complete with a 25-foot charging cable and can be wirelessly operated via the myWallbox app.
By using the app, you can create detailed charging schedules and get notifications regarding the power status of your vehicle. The app can also be used to monitor the charger through your WiFi or Bluetooth.
- Compact Design: The Pulsar Plus Level 2 EV charger features an attractive and compact design, which means it won’t stand out after it has been installed.
- Accompanying App: The EV charger can be wirelessly controlled via the myWallbox app, which can be connected to your WiFi or Bluetooth.
- Level 2 Charger: The Pulsar Puls EV charger is a Level 2 charger capable of producing 40 amps of power and is seven times faster than a standard Level 1.
- Insufficient Mount: The mounting hardware that comes with the charger is not of good quality and may be prone to damage.
- Limited Software: The accompanying app does not have many features and is limited in its overall design.
For the final product on our list, we have chosen the AmazonBasics Level 2 EV charger, which offers an 18-foot charging cable, 240 volts of power, and an overall charge of 32 amps.
Capable of adding an extra 25 miles of range per hour, this charger can be hardwired into both interior and exterior settings, with the home station featuring a NEMA 6-50 outlet.
Made from durable PC material, the charger currently has a NEMA-4 rating, with its resistance to water and dust being particularly praised. Beyond this, the overall product comes with a one-year warranty and features an award-winning compact design.
- Compact Design: The AmazonBasics Level 2 EV charger is compact and durable and has been awarded a Red Dot Award for its overall design.
- NEMA-4 Rating: The EV charger currently has a NEMA-4 and IK10 rating, with its protection against water and dust being praised.
- 32A Charge: The AmazonBasics Level 2 EV charger offers a 32 amps charge, which is capable of adding up to 25 miles of range per hour.
- Level 2 Charger: The EV Charger is a Level 2 product, which means it will charge faster than a Level 1 charger.
- Basic Charger: Although the EV charger has won awards for its design, the overall charger is very basic and does not include any special features.
Our Scoring System
We use a 25-point scoring system for every home charging station that gets reviewed. The points are divided evenly across 5 critical performance areas:
1️⃣ Cost (Total Of 5 points): The base price we set is $500, and there are 4 points allocated if a charger meets this price point. For every $100 above/below the baseline, +/- 0.5 points
2️⃣ Power Delivery (Total Of 5 points): A home charging station should deliver at least 7.5 kW of power, which is the baseline (1 point). For every 2.5kw over/under, +/- 0.5 point.
If the charger features adjustable power delivery or auto restarts after an outage, it’s awarded 1.25 points for each.
3️⃣ Quality (Total Of 5 points): Rubberised materials are preferred (0.5 points), and The State Of Charge’s cold cable test indicates quality (+0.5 for a pass and -0.5 for a fail).
Another couple of places where manufacturers might attempt to cut costs are the charging cable holster and the cable length. For the holster, we award 2 points for an integrated system and 1 point for a remote. The cable length is awarded as follows:
Less than 20 feet (0 points); Between 20-24 feet (1 point); 25+ feet (2 points)
4️⃣ Smart Features (Total Of 5 points): Another key aspect we look at is the ability to integrate with other tech in your home. The baseline is set at 2 points if it’s a smart charger.
For power sharing and dual charging as an option, 2 points are awarded. And lastly, if the station can integrate with Alexa or Google Home, it receives 1 point.
5️⃣ Safety & Warranty (Total Of 5 points): We expect some absolute minimums in the category, and negative scoring is enforced. For a recognized safety certification and Energy Star Rating, the product receives 1 point for each.
The NEMA ratings are always an area you need to be aware of. We score each charger as follows:
Under 3 (-1 point)
NEMA rating 3 (0 points)
NEMA rating over 3 (+1 point)
Manufacturer warranties often say a lot about what the producer thinks about their product. Be wary of any home charging station with less than 12 months’ warranty!
We score the warranty as follows: Under a year (-1 point); 1 year (0 points); 2 years (+0.5 point); 3 years (+1 point); 4 years (+1.5 points); 5 years (+2 points)
➕ Value bonus: The method we use to award the value element is based on the above scores. If a unit scores 5 points (out of 5) for any section, then an extra 1 point (for each 5/5) is added to the final score. And for any 4+ score, we grant an additional 0.5 points to the end.
If you are now considering purchasing an EV charger, then there are certain factors that you need to consider before you complete your transaction.
Below, we have outlined some key points that should be kept in mind when choosing an EV charger for your electric car. We hope you can find the detector you need by consulting these points, saving you both time and money.
Levels – What Do They Mean?
If you have gotten this far, then you are probably wondering what the difference is between a Level 1 charger and a Level 2 charger. Well, the simple answer to this question is that Level 2 chargers are much quicker when it comes to charging your electric vehicle.
In basic terms, Level 1 chargers use the same amount of power as a standard outlet in your home, which means they only produce a very weak amount of electricity.
Because of this, Level 1 chargers can only supply your car with a range of 3-4 miles per hour, which can leave you greatly limited if you travel a lot for work or leisure.
That is why most electric car owners will want to purchase a Level 2 charger for their home, as they can help ensure that your car is sufficiently charged throughout the day.
However, this does not mean that Level 2 chargers don’t come with their negative setbacks, for Level 2 chargers require a lot of power to work and will usually be paired with an outlet capable of producing 240 volts of electricity.
Because most households don’t have these outlets, you will need to have one professionally installed, which can be very expensive and add more cost to the overall price of the charger you want to buy.
Level 2 chargers also come available at a range of different speeds, so you always have to pay close attention when selecting one for your property.
Hardwired or Plug-In – You Decide!
When shopping for an EV charger for your electric car, you will probably notice that many chargers come with the option of a hardwired model, which means they don’t have to be plugged into an outlet to work.
Although this may sound like a brilliant idea on the surface, many electric car owners choose to avoid hardwired chargers due to their stationery and costly nature.
Hardwired chargers are very expensive to install and limited in their capabilities, for, unlike plug-in chargers, they cannot be easily removed and transported to another location.
This is why plug-in chargers are a more popular choice among electric car owners, as they are a far more versatile product that can be utilized in various settings and environments.
However, this does not mean that you will always be allowed to install a plug-in charger on your property, for different local codes may require your outdoor charger to be hardwired for safety reasons.
So before you purchase your intended EV charger, we recommend checking your local requirements to see how your charger will need to be installed.
When choosing your EV charger, you also need to consider where you will install it, as certain models may not be weather-resistant and, therefore, unsuitable for outdoor placement.
These are important elements that you have to consider. Otherwise, you could run the risk of purchasing a charger that does not meet your needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I Really Need An EV Charger?
This is one of those questions only you can answer, as the decision depends on your preferences. However, this does not mean EV chargers do not come with various benefits.
Beyond providing a nearby charging station for your car, home chargers also make the overall process much easier and help you avoid queues and wait times at your local charging stations.
Installing a Level 2 charger at your home can be incredibly convenient. The only issue is that the installation process can be very expensive and may require you to greatly alter part of your home. But if you purchase the correct charger, it can be a wonderful investment and last you for many years.
These days, car chargers are considered expensive, but they are worth the investment if you want to ensure that your car is adequately charged throughout the day.
So if you have been searching for an EV charger, chances are you have probably discovered that a standard wall outlet is not enough and that you need a charger that perfectly meets your car’s needs.
Of course, hundreds of EV chargers are currently available for online purchase, which is why we have compiled this list of the best EV chargers on the market.
These chargers are ideal for charging your electric car and can be easily installed in your home or garage. We have also compiled a detailed buyer’s guide to answer any questions you may have.